Phishing Information and Awareness Training
Work with the Information Security Office to combat identity theft! Got suspicious email? Provide a copy for analysis, and we can take action to block them or shut them down. If the message originates from University resources, or the sender appears to be someone at SacState, the Information Security Office needs to know about it. Please send the message, with full headers, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for viewing/sending header information are available in the "How to Report..." section. Although a message can be forged to make it falsely appear that the message originated at SacState, we can examine the message to verify its source. The part of an email that you don't see, the email headers, are the electronic equivalent of an envelope and contain clues about the origins of an email. Normally, when you forward an email, only the text is sent. By forwarding the original email as an attachment, we can examine it to determine where it came from.
How to Report if You Have Been a Victim of a Phishing Scam
Forward spam that is phishing for information to email@example.com The Information Security Office will analyze the phishing attempt and take appropriate action. To properly submit a phishing attempt please include the email headers. How to submit the Phishing Email: open a new email and drag the suspicious email from your inbox into the body of the new email. Then address it to firstname.lastname@example.org and send. If you feel you have become a victim of a phishing attack, please contact the Information Security Office.
Information Security Office
Outlook Specific Header Forwarding
Outlook 2007 (Windows)
- Option 1 Highlight a message in any mailbox. From the Actions menu choose "Forward as attachment".
- Option 2 Highlight a message in any mailbox. Press Crtl+Alt+F
- Option 3 Open a message. From the Other Actions menu choose "Forward as Attachment"
Outlook 2010 (Windows)
- Open message by double-clicking on the message
- Click on "More"
- Select "Forward as Attachment"
Outlook 2010 (Mac)
- From Delete box, highlight email, right click, forward as attachment
- Go to "Message" (located in the tool bar at the top of the screen when you are in Outlook)
- Go to "Forward Special"
- "As an attachment"
Information Security - KB0010545 by Matthew Mills | Published:2014-07-22 | Updated:2016-10-07 08:46:59 | Views::7,734